Valinda's Cranberry Relish
I've been making this for many years. It began when my dear friend, Suzanne Williams shared her mother's (Valinda's) recipe with me. Thanksgiving was Valinda's favorite holiday and I feel like every time this recipe is followed, another part of her legacy lives on.
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 4 cups cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans (optional)
- Bring first 5 ingredients to simmer in heavy large saucepan over medium high heat.
- Heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Add cranberries and cook until berries pop, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in pecans.
- Pour into bowl, cool, then refrigerate until well chilled.